All currently certified paramedics in WV need to complete the following for recertification:
1. Submit a complete application to WVOEMS: www.wvoems.org. Pay the recertification fee.
2. Possess a valid CPR Card.
3. Have an active CIS Account: https://cis.emspic.org/CIS/Go
4. Complete 48 hours of continued education in the following topics:
- Airway 4
- Cardiovascular 12
- Medical 8
- Trauma 6
- Obstetrics/Pediatrics 16
- Geriatric 2
5. Complete 18 hours of mandated courses in the following topics:
- Haz Mat Awareness annually 8
- ALS Protocol Update 4
- WV MCI I& II 2
- CPR Refresher 4
6. Complete 6 hours of additional training. Training can be through squad training, EMS Conferences, rescue or law enforcement classes related to EMS, approved online courses and portions of alphabet courses not utilized to meet required topics. College courses can count toward recertification as well.
7. Complete a skills evaluation.
8. Take the State Recert ALS Written Exam.
How it works:
- Classes accomplished through Jan-Care University have already been approved through WVOEMS. These classes are recorded on an employee's portfolio.
- Between attending traditional classes and mandatory inservices through Jan-Care University personnel should be seamlessly recertified by maintaining affiliation with Jan-Care.
- Skills evaluations are built into traditional refresher classes. The written exam is offered at the conclusion of the traditional class.
- At the conclusion of personnel accomplishing recertifciation requirements; packets are forward to WVOEMS for processing.
- Jan-Care creates the training, it is up to the employee to attend it, monitor their own portfolio and complete this process timely enough that the personnel's packet can be updated.